Tis the season for class reunions, and this past weekend was my brother’s 30th. With the help of the following questionnaire posted on Facebook by the spouse of one of his classmates, I got to thinking about my senior year in high school.
The year was: 1979-1980
- Did you know your spouse? No, he was nineteen years my senior, and at that time, I think he was living in California.
- Did you car pool to school? No, I either walked through the park and up the board walk, or one of my parents drove me.
- What kind of car did you have? I didn’t have a car which was a good thing, since I was visually impaired.
- What kind of car do you have now? My vision hasn’t improved since high school, so I still don’t have a car.
- It’s Friday night… Where were you? I was either home watching television or reading a book, or out of town at a speech meet.
- What kind of job did you have? I wasn’t employed. It never occurred to me to find a job when I was a teen-ager.
- What kind of job do you have now? I’m a writer with three published books and a fourth on the way.
- Were you a party animal? NO! NEVER!
- Were you a cheerleader? No.
- Were you considered a jock? Definitely not!
- Were you in band, orchestra, or choir? I sang in the concert choir.
- Were you a nerd? I hope not.
- Did you get suspended? NEVER!
- Can you sing the fight song? No.
- Who was your favorite teacher? Natalie Wright was not only the greatest English teacher I ever had but one of my best friends, who fueled my interest in books. She went out of her way to be sure the material I needed for her classes was in an accessible format and even loaned me books on cassette she didn’t assign in class like Anna Karenina and The Time Machine. She’s now at Westview, and I visit her from time to time. She hardly remembers the material she taught, but she always knows who I am and claims I was her best student.
- Where did you sit for lunch? I ate in the cafeteria with a few friends. I wasn’t that popular, probably because of my visual impairment.
- What was your school’s full name? Sheridan High School.
- What was your school mascot? The Bronc.
- If you could go back and do it again, would you? Believe it or not, I like being in my mid 50’s, living on my own, and doing what I want. Although I have some fond memories, I wouldn’t go back.
- Did you have fun at Prom? Yes, Dad took me when no other boy would. I had more fun than he did.
- Do you still talk to your Prom date? No, my father passed away in August of 2013.
- Are you planning on going to your next reunion? That depends. If I hear about it and can find a ride, I’ll probably go, but I don’t think we’ve had a reunion since 2000, or at least I haven’t heard about it.
- Are you still in contact with people from school? No, not very many.
- What are/were your school’s colors? Blue and gold. ***
Now, it’s your turn. Tell me about your senior year of high school. If you have a blog, why don’t you copy and paste the above questionnaire, delete my answers, and provide your own? If not, you can still answer any or all questions in the comments field. In any case, I’d love to hear about your high school senior experiences. The longer ago you were in high school, the more fun your answers will be.